The Certified Welder program is a performance-based program with no prerequisite courses or certifications required. Final certification will provide "transferrable" credentials that you may take with you wherever you go.
The Certified Welder (CW) program tests welders to procedures used in the structural steel, petroleum pipelines, sheet metal, and chemical refinery welding industries. There is a provision to test to a company-supplied or non-code welding specification. Tests for Certified Welder (CW) are performed at AWS Accredited Testing Facilities located throughout the world.
Welders that want to attain AWS Certified Welder certification must make an appointment with one of several AWS-Accredited Testing Facilities. These testing facilities adhere to strict standards for welder testing and can test welders to AWS Standard Welding Procedures (SWPSs), industry standard specifications and company-supplied or non-code welding specifications.
Becoming An Accredited Testing Facility
Companies have realized the shortcomings of self-qualification and discovered the advantages of utilizing AWS Accredited Test Facilities to test and qualify their welders. ATFs help them to save money, improve productivity, and reduce liability by entrusting their welder certification to the experts.
As a ATF facility, you enjoy increased awareness and recognition throughout the welding industry. If you are a facility interested in becoming an ATF, visit the ATF Facility Accreditation information page.
Certified Welder Instructions
The following instructions outline the requirements of the program.
- Read the QC7 Standard and its supplements.
- Contact the Accredited Test Facility representative at a facility near you to register for the test.
- Take your QC7 Standard with you at the time of the test.
- Once you have passed the test, the Accredited Test Facility will forward your application, qualifications test record and payment to the American Welding Society.
- The AWS Certification Department will process your application and will mail you your AWS Certified Welder Wallet Card along with renewal information.
- AWS will receive your application, test results and the registration fee up to two weeks after your skill demonstration. (This varies; check with your selected AWS Accredited Test Facility). You should receive your welder certification card and maintenance form from the AWS Certification Department two to three weeks from the date your application is received.
ertified Welder Requirements